This week, pricey readers, we wish to draw your consideration to a well timed useful resource from the Robert Wooden Johnson Basis (RWJF): Well being Fairness Ideas for State and Native Leaders in Responding to, Reopening and Recovering from COVID-19.
As we proceed to replicate on COVID-19 and racism, it’s not sufficient to easily acknowledge that these crises are interconnected. As well being communicators, we have to promote pandemic response methods that draw consideration to the disproportionate burdens on Black and Brown communities and prioritize their well being and well-being.
So what does an equitable pandemic response appear to be? Listed below are RWJF’s 5 well being fairness ideas:
- Accumulate, analyze, and report information disaggregated by age, race, ethnicity, gender, incapacity, neighborhood, and different sociodemographic traits.
- Embrace in decision-making the folks most affected by well being and financial challenges, and benchmark progress based mostly on their outcomes.
- Set up and empower groups devoted to selling racial fairness in response and restoration efforts.
- Proactively establish and handle present coverage gaps whereas advocating for additional federal help.
- Spend money on strengthening public well being, well being care, and social infrastructure to foster resilience.
Make sure you learn extra about these ideas on RWJF’s web site!
The underside line: As we reply to this pandemic, we have to unite round a shared imaginative and prescient to handle the deep-rooted systemic issues of racism and well being inequity in our nation. Assets like RWJF’s well being fairness ideas are an excellent place to begin.
Issues We ❤︎: Robert Wooden Johnson Basis’s COVID-19 Well being Fairness Ideas was initially printed in wehearthealthliteracy on Medium, the place persons are persevering with the dialog by highlighting and responding to this story.